How to Apply
The application for the Class of 2019 (beginning September 2018) is available. Click the button below to apply. Applications must be submitted by 5pm on June 30, 2018.
Each Leadership Springfield (LS) class is selected by a Selection Committee with final approval by The Chamber. The Selection Committee will begin reviewing applications in July. Applicants will be notified of the Committee's decision in late July.
Leadership Springfield is a Chamber program and applicants from member businesses will be given first consideration. If additional spots are available, non-members will be considered. An application evaluation process is conducted that consists of the following criteria: a commitment to civic involvement, demonstrated leadership potential, professional and personal achievement.
While the time commitment for the participant can be significant, the amount of time the participant spends away from the office is only a half day per week from September through mid-December.
Please complete the short essays before starting your application. Your responses will not be saved if you close out of the application. Click here for the application questions. The short essay portion of the application plays a significant role in the selection process. Please take your time in answering the questions.
- Must be at least 21 years of age by Orientation (September 5, 2018)
- Possess a high school diploma or GED equivalency
- Live or work in Sangamon County
- Must have at least 2 years experience of full-time employment
- Completed application and Applicant Commitment Form
Successful candidates will have:
- Demonstrated professional growth focused on leadership skills.
- Expressed a desire to contribute both time and energy toward serving Sangamon County.
- Demonstrated prior volunteer involvement and provided evidence of leadership experience.
- Attend Orientation meeting.
- Attend and actively participate in at least 12 of 14 weekly program sessions outlined in the Key Dates section (must be excused absences).
- Actively work and participate in meeting with project team throughout the program with completion and deliverables by the final program day.
- Fulfill the minimum of four (4) hours of community service aspect of the Leadership Springfield program.
Key Dates - Class of 2019
|Program Orientation||September 5, 2018||4:00 - 5:00 p.m.|
|Weekly Sessions||September 6, 2018||8:30 - 11:30 a.m..|
|September 13, 2018||8:30 - 11:30 a.m..|
|September 20, 2018||8:30 - 11:30 a.m.|
|September 27, 2018||8:30 - 11:30 a.m.|
|October 4, 2018||8:30 - 11:30 a.m.|
|October 11, 2018||8:30 - 11:30 a.m..|
|October 18, 2018||8:30 - 11:30 a.m.|
|October 25, 2018||8:30 - 11:30 a.m.|
|November 1, 2018||8:30 - 11:30 a.m.|
|November 8, 2018||8:30 - 11:30 a.m.|
|November 15, 2018||8:30 - 11:30 a.m.|
|November 29, 2018||8:30 - 11:30 a.m.|
|December 6, 2018||8:30 - 11:30 a.m.|
|December 13, 2018||8:30 - 11:30 a.m.|
|Graduation||February 1, 2019||Presentation at Chamber Annual Gala|
Tuition for each participant in Leadership Springfield is $900 for Chamber members and $1300 for non-members.
If a non-member wants to increase their chance of acceptance into the program, they may join the Chamber at the time of application and, if selected, pay the member tuition rate. Should the applicant not be accepted into the program, Chamber dues will not be refunded. Non-members interested in this option should contact David Earhart (217.525.1173 or email@example.com) at the time of application.
Tuition is due upon receipt of invoice and must be PAID IN FULL BY AUGUST 15.
Leadership Springfield is able to offer a limited amount of financial assistance. Those requiring assistance must fill out the appropriate section of the application. Applicants from Chamber member businesses will be given first consideration for assistance. Requests for assistance are confidential and have no bearing on the Selection Committee's decisions.
Our goal is to select a class reflecting the rich diversity of the Springfield community. All applications will be handled in the strictest confidence.
Applications must be submitted by 5 p.m. on June 30, 2018.
For more information, please contact David Earhart at 217.525.1173 or firstname.lastname@example.org.